Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Time Machine

The photo below was taken in 1954. It is my first memory of a photo being made of me, the first photo I distinctly remember standing still for. I was two years old at the time.


I’m the guy squinting into the sun. Holding my hand is my cousin Sheryl Newland. Holding her other hand is another cousin, Pat “Cork” Irwin. It was typical that Sheryl was holding my hand at the time the photo was made.
My mother gave me a box of prints about a decade ago. I didn’t think much about them at the time. I looked through them quickly, then stored them in my garage. A few years ago while looking for a particular book on the shelves where the photo box was stored, I noticed that the box was separating at the seams, so I replaced the box with a sturdier version.


A couple of months ago, I suddenly wondered if I still had the photograph above of myself and younger brother Joe, which was taken around late 1955 or early 1956. I always liked the photo, but I don’t remember why I set out to look through the photo box for it. The print definitely shows the wear of 55 years. In the process of looking for that photo, I uncovered the first photo above and numerous other photographic gems among the pile of a few hundred prints. Too bad the negatives are not in the box…
The point of this post is that it is enjoyable to wade through that box of old photos you may have stuck on a shelf in the garage or wedged between the rafters in the attic. Take a look. It is full of half and mostly forgotten memories. It is a time machine.

2 comments:

  1. If I ever get around to it, I'm going to digitize as many of these kinds of old prints and slides as I can, and stick them on CDs or DVDs for the grand-kids, all with proper captions. Maybe a series of slide shows....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I'm going to have to wait a bit and acquire another scanner to do the job on my old photo box. I've only shot a handful of the prints with the digital camera - most for the purpose of emailing to my cousins. That simply takes too long.
    When we met on that technical writing job in 1997 and were a couple of incredibly handsome middle-aged writers who hadn't yet become old geezers, I didn't know much about your background, so it was good to see the old black and white photo of you when you were in the Canadian military and training to hold back the "Yellow Peril"...

    ReplyDelete