Saturday, August 1, 2009

Coast Ride

Having found myself with several days before I needed to start a new work project, I started thinking about making photographs of Mono Lake. See http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_Lake#Geology for more information on the formation of the lake.
Approximately 330 miles, it would be easy to get up there in one day, spend the night at a local motel in the town of Lee Vining, and rise early to get sunrise photographs the next morning before returning home.

I went to the computer and started looking at road maps. It was soon apparent that it was only 1,108 miles to Steve Vaughn's new home in Washington. He had recently moved to the West Coast to take an environmental job in Richland. I've known Steve since Kindergarten. We're still speaking to each other.

The overnight photo trip suddenly became bigger. I'd ride up to Steve's for a quick visit, then head for the coast and ride the coast roads home. On the way back, I'd stop and see Al Morrow, who grew up with Steve and I and lives on the edge of San Francisco, then stay overnight with my daughter Megan in Santa Cruz.

I left on the morning of July 24, rode up across the Mojave Desert on US 395, through the Mammoth Lakes area and stopped at Mono Lake to make the next three photos.


There are signs on 395 indicating the scenic viewpoint pulloff. The viewpoint has a good long view of the lake from the southwest. A pathway extends from the parking lot through the long grasses bordering the lake to the beach, for a closer view of the gulls. It's gull paradise.

North of the Mojave, 395 climbs steadily along the east shoulder of the Sierras. You merely have to turn your head to the west to get excellent views of the ridges.

I started thinking about putting some miles on the Road Star as Mono Lake receded behind my shoulders. Geographically, it made sense to stop in Reno for the night, about five hundred miles from home. It would be a good day's ride.

But it was a big city, and I prefer small towns or semi-isolated aging roadside motels. Susanville looked like a better bet, and I'd have about 550 miles on the trip meter. I rode into Susanville around 6:00 pm. The town had at least one fair motel.

My GPS

The next morning I studied the two maps I had with me; A 48 states map, and a map of California. Rather than continue north on 395, I could ride northwest on 44 and 89 to Shasta, see the mountain then swing north on 97 though Oregon. The alternate route would be a good deal west of 395, and should be cooler.

The photos above and below are two views of Mount Shasta.
I had never been in Oregon or Washington, despite living (except for a couple years) in So. Cal. since 1971. Because I was taking secondary roads, Oregon's traffic was moving slow. The State speed limit off the Interstates was 55 mph, and every town had speed limits as low as 25 mph. The residents seemed to take the speed limit seriously, driving conservatively, between 55 and 60 mph. I decided that it was probably a good idea to drive the same speeds. It wouldn't do to go faster and pick up a speeding ticket.

Evidence of logging operations was on the roads in Oregon and Washington in the form of frequent logging trucks. Another reminder was this large group of logs waiting for processing at a mill in southern Oregon.

Across the country the small mom-and-pop gas station/markets that thrived in slower-paced times have largely been abandoned. The gas pump shown below, was in mid Oregon. I wanted to fill up my tank at the 66 1/2 cent price on the pump.

After visiting with Steve for a evening, then sleeping in his living room, I got an early start, leaving around 7:00am. I also delayed his departure for work, so it was probably good that I left as early as I did.

The air was cool in the morning, though the temperature was supposed to climb to a hundred or so by afternoon. South of Richland I made a stop to check the map. For an area that is considered to be an arid steppe, there was a lot of irrigated crop farming underway. The sunflowers seemed to go on forever.

Over the river in Oregon, I planned to follow the Columbia west to Portland, then ride Route 101 down the coast to the Redwoods in California. The photo below shows the Columbia River with Washington on the far side.

This story is continued in Coast Ride, Part 2.

1 comment:

  1. Man, am I ever jealous! This makes our rides like kiddy trips to the sandbox!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete