Saturday, August 1, 2009

Coast Ride, Part 2

After snarled traffic on the freeways through Portland, it was slow going on US 101 along the Pacific. I stayed in Nehalem on the night of the 27th at The Bunk House in a clean, comfortable room. It was quiet at night in the small town. Being so close to Tilamook, I wondered if I'd find a wedge of medium cheddar under my pillow, but that particular promotional idea hadn't yet caught on.

The next morning was misty along the coast. With frequent stops for gas, photographs, and rest breaks, I followed the slow road toward the south.
Oregon Coast.
Oregon Coast.
A small sailing ship graces the front of the Tilamook dairy in Tilamook, Oregon. Being a big fan of Tilamook cheddars, I took the tour, had some cheddar, and bought t-shirts for the grandchildren.
Two views of a lighthouse.

On the morning of the 28th, I woke in a motel on the Rogue River waterfront in the town of Orange Coast. The mist was thicker than that of the previous day.

The light was nearly monochrome because of the costal mist. I thought it looked like old black and white prints.
Due to the mist, it was a cold slow ride along the coast. I was running out of time to get to San Francisco and Santa Cruz. By the time I arrived in Eureka, it was obvious that I needed to reroute my self to arrive home by Friday - I'd never make it in time if I continued to ride the slow coast roads. I turned east at Fortuna, taking Route 36 over the Coast Range, then Route 99 south through the central valley, I-80 from Sacramento over the Donner Pass to Reno, then returned home on Route 395 through the Mojave Desert.

The Sierra Nevadas Viewed from Route 395.



The Sierra Nevadas viewed from Route 395.

2 comments:

  1. I'm convinced now that I must visit the Oregon coast. Love those shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful ride! Too bad you didn't have the time to continue down Calif 101 and 1- would have been worth it but would have added close to 2 days.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete