Monday, February 1, 2010

Lamplight

Several evenings ago I noticed, yet again, the large volume of light which was spilling from streetlamps across the City of Riverside. The light pollution brightens the night skies, illuminating clouds, and on most nights produces a dim half-light rather than a true dark. On an uncloudy night it is possible to see first magnitude stars and planets, but stellar bodies that produce less light are obscured by the ground illumination.
There's nothing unusual about light pollution. Its a side effect of urban and suburban development. What is unusual about the lamplight here is the strong orange/red tint that the newer lights give off. The older lights, which have long been replaced, emitted a cold blue/white light.
Anyway, I was looking at some clouds moving slowly across what was once a black dome, and happened to see the orange tint on their undersides. I set the camera up on a tripod to capture the scene.
The first couple frames are of the clouds above the city.

I decided to get something closer to the lamplight source a couple nights later, and made the two following photos of tree branches near a lamp. The 2nd frame is not as "technically correct" as the first because of the flare, but I like the photo and since flare frequently shows up in panning shots in movie films, I'm going to display it here, anyway.
 














Two nights later, I looked at the rising moon, and seeing more orange in the cloudy sky backlit by the moon, I tried a few more frames.

After I captured the frame above a car parked slightly down the street. The driver left the engine running and the headlights on. The stream of white headlamp light in the left of the photo substantially changed the lighting of the scene, and provided a contrasting light color.




























The photo immediately above is from a different viewpoint. I swiveled the camera in the tripod to catch the street on the right illuminated in orange light.

1 comment:

  1. I really like these shots. I've always liked the effect of street lights lighting trees and buildings from below. You've captured that quite realistically.

    ReplyDelete